Friday, February 14, 2014

6th Week - New Terrain Method



This week in Max, I started to test a new method for modeling terrain using the Displace modifier. Traditionally I would start by dragging out a plane with a high amount of pollies and then using solt selection I would push/pull vertices to shape the mesh. This week, however, I broke the process into three steps, the first of which being the blocky rough model in the top image. The second step was to texture the top facing pollies in a gradient fading from black at the lower most level to white at the top most. With the rough model textured I can render out a top view of the model to achieve the height map. After that I can simply apply the Displace modifier onto a plane with a high amount of polies, and with slight tweaks of the settings I will get the final model.

No comments:

Post a Comment